10 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT COUNSELORS AND COUNSELING
- Professional counseling is a therapeutic relationship that empowers diverse individuals, families, and groups to accomplish mental health, wellness, education, and career goals.2. Common specialties within professional counseling include mental health counseling, school counseling, career counseling, addictions counseling, and couples and family counseling.
3. Many counselors are specifically trained to support individuals or groups in the aftermath of natural or man-made disasters.
4. Professional counselors abide by ACA’s Code of Ethics.
5. Professional counselors can diagnose and/or treat mental health disorders.
6. Counselors do not prescribe medications.
7. School counselors must be certified/licensed by a state education department to work in a public school.
8. Counselors working in mental health settings (mental health centers, college counseling centers, hospitals, substance abuse centers, etc.) must be licensed in their state as a professional counselor.
9. Rehabilitation counselors typically must be Certified Rehabilitation Counselors, especially if they work in the traditional setting of a state Office for Vocational Rehabilitation.
10. The differences among counselors, psychologists, and psychiatrists can be summarized by differences in education and focus: Professional counselors have a graduate degree in counseling. A master’s degree is the entry-level requirement. Counselors focus on client wellness, as opposed to psychopathology. Psychologists have a graduate degree in psychology, and licensed psychologists typically have a degree in clinical, counseling, or school psychology. Of all the mental health professions, psychologists are the best trained in conducting research. Psychiatrists are medical doctors who have usually completed a residency in psychiatry. Their niche is prescribing psychotropic drugs.
FACTS AND FIGURES ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH AND PROFESSIONAL COUNSELING
The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services publishes statistics on mental health in America here.